Star photos

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Star photos

dan the man p wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Lori2 wrote:

Ok, so I don’t have a ton of time to research, and this isn’t like Neowise where I had several chances for trying different lenses and settings.
Tips for photographing the star with the M50?

I was thinking of trying two lenses, my 135 f2, and efm 55-200. I’ve also got a Tamron 70-300 VC (5.6)
and efm 22, 32, ef50 1.8, and a bunch of others but my 135 is my fastest longer lens.

Settings to try??
lori

Without a tracker on a 24Mp APS-C you would be applying Rule of 200, so using a 135mm lens, you should be limiting to 200 / 135 = 1.5 second shutter speeds. I would be quite surprised if you could capture anything on a M50 at say - f2, 1.5 seconds, ISO 1600. Even though the lens has a very nice large aperture (135 / 2 = 67mm), the exposure time is just too short - unless you accept some noise and crank up the ISO to something like 6400 or higher.

With the Tamron the same applies and more so because it is a lot slower and potentially longer.

Your best bet might be the EF-M (presumably ?) 32mm f1.4 because you could use f1.4 or f1.8, around 6-8 seconds, and ISO 1600. Obviously the focal length is too short to really a stars other than a nightscape or a portion of the Milky Way.

If you are looking to capture stars with a longer lens like 135mm (and especially so on APS-C) you will have to get a decent tracker.

Colin

The planets are pretty bright, so they don't really need a long exposure.

Agreed. The OP asked about stars, not planets.

Of course, they're just basically going to look like orbs without pretty strong magnification.

Yes, I am going to try with my M5 + 100-400L ii at 400mm if the cloud clears, but even 400mm is too short based on some research with Stellarium. I really need at least 800mm (on APS-C) and a very clear sky - I don't have 800mm, and a clear sky in hot humid summer weather (Australia) with the planets low on the horizon is pretty unlikely.

Here's what I was able to capture with the EF-50 1.8. If you look at it 100%, you can make out 2-3 of Jupiter's moons.

The OP could certainly capture these planets with a 135mm, but they would not be large enough to look like anything more that decently bright stars.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow