The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
traderjay
traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 462
The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

The RF 28-70 really lived up to its magic when paired with the R5. During my early career at Canon, I had the opportunity to use every single lens including the exotic ones that are no longer in production but nothing comes close to the feeling of this lens.

You can get better bokeh or effects with a dedicated prime but it offers zero versatility when dealing with moving and unpredictable subjects. When shooting at F2, the subject separation at every focal length is very unique and subtle, something that I've not seen in other lenses. Its hard to describe but the best way to put it is it gives a very pleasant blur, without completely killing the background and making the viewer unaware of the context of the environment. It also makes indoor/poor lighting shoots very very easy with high shutter speed and ISO of 3200 and below.

I've also used the EF and RF 24-70 F2.8 lenses and none of them gave me similar feeling. With the RF28-70, I feel that you literally do not have to try hard to get a good looking and pleasant image. All these images are my very shots unprocessed JPEGs and it seems I have lots and lots to learn to fully exploit the capabilities of this great lens.

-- hide signature --

Workstations - EPYC 7702 + 3950X || NVIDIA RTX 2080ti || Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow