Star photos

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: Star photos

Lori2 wrote:

Ok, so I don’t have a ton of time to research, and this isn’t like Neowise where I had several chances for trying different lenses and settings.
Tips for photographing the star with the M50?

I was thinking of trying two lenses, my 135 f2, and efm 55-200. I’ve also got a Tamron 70-300 VC (5.6)
and efm 22, 32, ef50 1.8, and a bunch of others but my 135 is my fastest longer lens.

Settings to try??
lori

Which star are you talking about?

For astrophotography in general, if you don't have a tracking mount, you are going to be limited by the exposure time to avoid streaks, so you want something with a large aperture, and don't be afraid to pump up the ISO a bit. I've gotten good results with my EF-50 f/1.8, up to about a 4-second exposure without too obvious streaking. Obviously, the more magnification you have, the more noticeable the Earth's rotation will be and the shorter the exposure will have to be. However, if you have one of those stacking programs, you can get away with a lot shorter exposures.

I haven't done anything too impressive (don't even have a proper tripod, lol), but here are a couple cropped astro photos I've taken with the EF-50.

Andromeda Galaxy

Orion Nebula

Jupiter with a moon or two visible

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow