Is Canon keeping third party lenses away ?

Started Dec 18, 2020 | Discussions thread
pdqgp
pdqgp Forum Pro • Posts: 10,736
I agree....you don't always have to have the LATEST and greatest

Great Bustard wrote:

...available lenses at this time, which makes since, as Sony has been doing mirrorless FF a lot longer. So, if you're in a rush, either go Sony or use EF lenses with the adapter (adapted EF lenses work perfectly with the adapter). In time, there will be more RF lenses, both Canon and third party.

^^ this.   Keep in mind you don't need the latest and greatest in lenses to make for a spectacular camera system.

I have several Canon L Series 1 lenses from the early part of the 2000's and they are still fantastic lenses.   The latest 2nd and 3rd generation lenses including the RF are better but the differences are minimal unless you're really scrutinizing things and / or a pro looking for the minor details.   I've used the latest gear from a buddy and while they are nice, I'd say it's like comparing an 8 out of 10 to a 10 out of 10 if you were to put a scale on it.   Not nearly enough of an advancement for me to sell my current gear and upgrade.

Looking at it as a NEW user, I'd suggest you also look at the same lenses.  In my area there's a like-new Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS Gen 1 for $750.    That's an awesome deal for such a lens.   I see them for upwards of a $1000 places too which is still a great deal.   Pick up a gen 1 24-70L and again, still have a great lens with super build quality.

I can't help you so much with IS on some but Tamron has some great glass too.    If it really bothers you, sell the R and pick up an R6 with IBIS.     For me that's one of the main keeper reasons I love the camera.     I have the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and the latest firmware activates spectacular AF results and IBIS!     My 24-70L now has it too.  another reason I keep my EF lenses and use an adapter is they work with my other older Canon DSLR's like the 7DMKII and 40D unit.

In summary, look outside the box and don't feel you have to buy the very latest in glass.   RF lenses are awesome but the prices are likely going to be higher for a while simply because they are NEW and the market for them is only going to grow as more and more mirror less units are sold to new users or as upgrades.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 1300 Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Kodak DC240 Konica KD-400 Zoom Nikon Coolpix 995 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow