Camera Comparison - something odd with Sony A7R IV test shots

Started Dec 17, 2020 | Discussions thread
OP Mlrapa New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Tests / scores

onlyfreeman wrote:

I'm all for tests and scores, but every test and scoring system has weaknesses / strengths, which need to be taken into account when looking at the results.

The studio scene is a good way to judge sensor performance, which is probably it's strongest aspect in my opinion.

Sharpness (detail) is a bit more difficult to judge because there might be tiny focusing errors (as have been seen before), or issues with the lens used, as not all cameras use the same lens. I believe the sensor's impact on detail is easy enough to predict based on specs alone, i.e. more pixels = more detail, no AA = more apparent sharpness.

Colour is a strange one because the studio scene will fade over time, and at the end of the day it's not a typical subject where pleasing colour can easily be recognised. I prefer the sample galleries for judging colour instead.

Good observation. I will try to focus more on the sample images rather than the test. Is that the studio test is easier to quickly compare cameras side by side at different ISOs, but understand the weaknesses part.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow