Camera Comparison - something odd with Sony A7R IV test shots

Started Dec 17, 2020 | Discussions thread
foot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,535
interesting talk by professional photos, looking at the pros/cons of Sony skin tones

Mlrapa wrote:

DenverSteve wrote:

Mlrapa wrote:

DenverSteve wrote:

Mlrapa wrote:

I've been trying to measure how much better the Canon R5 is (or is not) when compared to Sony A7R IV.

Why? That's rhetorical so no need to answer. If you're (universal "you" not the OP) a Canon shooter (like I was for 30+ years), then work within the Canon lane and buy what you like. If you're a Sony or Nikon shooter............. do the same. It is completely pointless to compare cameras across platforms unless you are planning a total change. Otherwise stay in your lane, focus on your photography instead of technical specs. Every one of the cameras from every manufacturer will do an excellent job.

Sorry, but can't agree with you. A camera is a tool, I'm not wrong in trying to find the best of them since we all (I'm assuming you as well) have limited budgets (well, except Elon Musk) and can't acquire every of them, so research is key. Also think brand loyalty may limit you to other better choices, so except having a Fuji, I am also open to Canon or Sony, since they all seem to have great products and I'm not limiting myself against a potential brand switch (or addition if budget allows).

My question was an open question, I did not state that the Canon is better than Sony, or vice-versa, I'm questioning the results of a test, that for me has an odd result.

That's the problem with "seekers" in any arena. You/they continue to seek the "best". The problem is - there is no best. I have found over decades that the "best" are the people who take the time, effort, expense, sweat.... to learn how to use what they have. Every quality camera, guitar, pistol, hammer, router (tool), car.... outperforms its owner. It's the owner's onus to learn to operate the tool as well as they can. Not expect the tool to be "best". If I lost all battery capability today, I could go out and buy a 40+ year-old Canon, Nikon, Petri, Yashica, Hasselblad...... and satisfy almost any client's needs. It's not the camera it's the person behind the shutter-release button. My advice to all who seek - become the best photographer and stop looking for the best camera.

Ok. So I come here asking politely for advice on a test result because I can't interpret it, and I get a response that can be summarized as "stop asking questions and get good". Seriously?

This is a camera comparison site, god forbid if I ask about a test that was done that seemed odd for me.

I did a quick google search and these popped up.

google: "sony skin tones"

Both an interesting talk by professional photos, looking at the pros/cons of Sony color.

"Skin Tones in Portraits: Canon vs Sony and How to Correct" - Sean Tucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMjb7sMiAsg

"Canon vs Sony skin tones- I was WRONG! - Manny Ortiz"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtEALddw94

btw, many people really like Sony colors for landscape, but I think for portraits they all do alot of pp to fix the skin colors...lol

And yes, the dpreview test scene for portraits is a bad test. Many of us have noticed the same issue, and there is some technical reason why taking a photo of an image printed out and pasted on a board is a bad test. I'm glad they keep the tests available, since it would be impossible to go and re-run the tests across all the cameras, iso, jpg vs raw...

I think it would help people seeing the tests for the first time to have a brief explanation and a link to a more detailed, in-depth explanation.

Here's a cropped image from the Sony test...do any of these look good??

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow