A68 + Godox v860ii + toddler + xmas = help please

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,955
Re: A68 + Godox v860ii + toddler + xmas = help please

I made that mistake too with that flash (I have the Flashpoint R2 Lion which is identical to the v860ii).  The diffuser panel is probably sticking out just a tad beyond your perception to notice, it looks like it's pushed in but it isn't.  That and the bounce card can be a bit stiff when new.  Pull it out and then push it back in all the way, and only do that to one at a time (either bounce card or diffuser, don't try to push them both in at once).  You should notice that fixed 14mm will go away after that.  That may have been having a negative effect on your pictures, too.

I wouldn't venture in HSS mode when taking toddler portraits, at least not at first.  And you won't be using that if you're bouncing, anyway.

Do learn how HSS works, though, it's an invaluable feature.  That will be more useful for candids and action shots where a higher shutter speed is called for.  Just know the faster your shutter speed, the harder the flash works, which ultimately reduces your range.  There's a handy distance meter scale on the flash LCD that kind of gives you an idea of the reach.  In HSS mode start adjusting your camera's shutter speed faster one step at a time and watch what happens to the distance meter.  Your effective range is reduced each time you do that.  You can compensate by bumping up ISO, but at the expense of image quality which you may or may not be OK with.  Just practice with it, learn how to get your flash in and out of HSS mode quick, because it's unintuitive until you've done it repeatedly.  It's not rocket science, but the more you play with it, the more comfortable it'll get.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow