Camera Comparison - something odd with Sony A7R IV test shots

Started Dec 17, 2020 | Discussions thread
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 5,030
Re: Camera Comparison - something odd with Sony A7R IV test shots

DenverSteve wrote:

Mlrapa wrote:

DenverSteve wrote:

Mlrapa wrote:

I've been trying to measure how much better the Canon R5 is (or is not) when compared to Sony A7R IV.

Why? That's rhetorical so no need to answer. If you're (universal "you" not the OP) a Canon shooter (like I was for 30+ years), then work within the Canon lane and buy what you like. If you're a Sony or Nikon shooter............. do the same. It is completely pointless to compare cameras across platforms unless you are planning a total change. Otherwise stay in your lane, focus on your photography instead of technical specs. Every one of the cameras from every manufacturer will do an excellent job.

Sorry, but can't agree with you. A camera is a tool, I'm not wrong in trying to find the best of them since we all (I'm assuming you as well) have limited budgets (well, except Elon Musk) and can't acquire every of them, so research is key. Also think brand loyalty may limit you to other better choices, so except having a Fuji, I am also open to Canon or Sony, since they all seem to have great products and I'm not limiting myself against a potential brand switch (or addition if budget allows).

My question was an open question, I did not state that the Canon is better than Sony, or vice-versa, I'm questioning the results of a test, that for me has an odd result.

That's the problem with "seekers" in any arena. You/they continue to seek the "best". The problem is - there is no best.

i disagree, there most certainly is a "best" in any arena.

I have found over decades that the "best" are the people who take the time, effort, expense, sweat.... to learn how to use what they have. Every quality camera, guitar, pistol, hammer, router (tool), car.... outperforms its owner. It's the owner's onus to learn to operate the tool as well as they can. Not expect the tool to be "best". If I lost all battery capability today, I could go out and buy a 40+ year-old Canon, Nikon, Petri, Yashica, Hasselblad...... and satisfy almost any client's needs.

i shoot sports for instance, nobody in their right mind is going to be out there shooting with manual focus... and yes i used to shoot sports with manual focus.

camera technology can make a huge difference in the number of in-focus keepers that even a newbie shooter can bring home.

20fps gives many choices for the best possible subject positioning and focus, that can set your work apart from shooters who are limited to 10fps.

tech matters with camera gear.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow