A68 + Godox v860ii + toddler + xmas = help please

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,955
Re: A68 + Godox v860ii + toddler + xmas = help please

That's a nice kit. You should get some great shots of that with practice. I assume you are using the flash on-camera. Are you using the built-in bounce card on the flash?

Diffuser folds down over the flash head (shown left) - you generally don't need this for bouncing. Bounce flash card is on the right, use it by itself.

That bounce card is useful for many things, but if you find it's not putting enough forward light, consider strapping an index card or something else larger to the top of the flash to reflect more of that light forward.

Kids move around a lot. Expect to take many pictures and to toss a lot of them. You gotta be a little trigger happy with them. I'm not saying mash down on the button, but it doesn't hurt to take short bursts when you can. Bouncing flash uses more power, which means it won't be ready to go when you are as the flash recycle time takes longer between shots and isn't conducive to bursts.

I'm assuming you don't have vaulted ceilings ...

Experiment taking pictures with the flash head at different angles to see how it behaves. You can also swivel and use a wall to bounce off of, that will give you some unique lighting that's hard to duplicate short of using the flash off camera.

Did I mention take a lot of pictures? Bide your time until the eyes are open. At that age they're frequently looking down, closed, looking away, distracted by one thing or another. You have to be patient with the youngsters. Sometimes the best shots aren't the posed ones.

If after everything things look a little dark, open up the ISO a couple of stops, one at a time. Sometimes I'll take a few pictures of nothing in particular in a room till I get the feel for what settings work best. You'll find yourself doing that less and less once you get the hang of it. Good luck, and enjoy.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
kli
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow