What do you do with your photos?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
G Gordon MacDonald New Member • Posts: 16
Re: What do you do with your photos?

I've asked myself this very same question for years now. My negative files extended back to early 1962, back when almost everybody was shooting black and white. Whenever you took a role of Kodacolor into your local drugstore for processing, the staff always acted like it was a really big deal. By1967 I had started shooting chromes as well, and very little b&w. Most of my earlier pictures had been family trips, but by then I had  started focusing (no pun intended) on aircraft. I believe it had something to do with my becoming an airframe technician in the RCAF. In 1972 I acquired my own portrait studio and shot a lot of weddings, families, and babies, but I still managed to have a camera with me whenever I was around aircraft. The last stuff I shot professionally was around 1985, and then it was back to travel pix and airshows and airports, but got bored with the hobby. In 2010 I got my fist digital camera and the fun came back to my shooting. In 2011 I started working towards scanning all my film images, and started to wonder what I was going to do with them. 2020 arrived and and I hade completed  nearly 100% of my scanning when done when Covid-19 hit this spring. With somewhere well in excess of 100,000 images that I had seen very little of in a few decades (because they were all stored away in filing cabinets) it was only this year that I was able to finish setting up a filing system integrating 127 film, 35 mm b&w & colour negs and slides along with 2 1/4 sq. and 2 1/4 X 2 3/4 negs and transparencies. It's only this year that I've finally been able to look back at forgotten images, and I've amazed myself seeing how well some of the images from so many years ago were.

So, what do I do with them now?. Well there's always ones to send off to family and friends so they can see what they looked like back then. We've downsized from a house to a condo so I'm not spending anymore money on store bought wall pictures any more. My favorite display size is 24 X 36, and prints are cheap enough, every time we have friends over, the first thing they notice is the new photographs that weren't there on their last visit. The biggest change for me has been DPreview. After years of checking out the news and review articles, and watching the challenges, last February I started entering the challenges. As of today I've entered 256 images into challenges, and much of my stuff has done quite well (although I finally got my first last place finish this week). I've also gone back to trying more b&w work. I have 3 different b&w presets on my cameras, and I'm appreciating the diversity of landscapes we have on the Prairies. The RCAF Snowbirds are 40 miles down the road, so I haven't finished shooting aircraft yet, but not near as much as in times past. I've had a lot of conversations with various other members, and at the age of 72, I'm actually having more fun shooting than I ever have. The big thing about the challenges is that they really serve as great motivators to try something different, to constantly try to improve. And with the quality of participants in the challenges, I get a lot of motivation to improve. Not bad for an old guy.

I guess the lesson here is it's not what you've got, the fun is in what we are doing.

Gordon MacDonald

Retired and happy.

G Gordon MacDonald's gear list:G Gordon MacDonald's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow