ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-60 f2.8 - 4.0 or Panasonic 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6?

Started Dec 12, 2017 | Questions thread
Summitron Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-60 f2.8 - 4.0 or Panasonic 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6?

buratino wrote:

Summitron wrote:

I've tried all three and they all have problems at the long end. The Leica has great color and contrast. I kept the Olly, but it is big and heavy.

all three what? copies of 12-60 Pana, or 3 different ones from Oly and Pana? Asking, because my copy of Pana 12-60 was my most meh lens, while there is a lot of praise for it. I probably had a bad copy

I don't think you had a bad copy necessarily. But who buys three of the same lens?
The three: I have tried and tested and also filmed with the Leica 12-60, the Pana 12-60 and the Olly older four thirds 12-60. I wound up keeping the Olly but I don't use it much, and I also have the Olly 12-40 which is grand. 
Bottom line--the Olly 12-40 2.8 is better than than any of the 12-60, and even the lowly Olly $99 budget zoom is better in the 50-60 range than the 12-60 lenses.

It's a handy range, they just kind of crap out at the long end. Not a big deal, they just don't give you that OMG lens thing. Corner sharpness was not great on any of them but the older Olly 12-60 is not bad, just clunky by itself and with the adapter, of course. Heavy.

So for me, the Leica and the Lumix 12-60 are really a 12-40 lens with a sort of spare tank at the long end, and I have other lenses that are much better in the spare tank range, like the 42.5 prime or the 35-100, etc.

Having said that, the Leica 12-60 has a nice image and color, but not like wow, it looks so great. Maybe just a bit extra oooomph in the intangibles.

When you bolt on the Olly 12-40 or the Panny 35-100 you go, holy crap that is sharp. Never fails. Bolt it on, wow. Same with the Olly 75.
OTOH, who will notice besides us?

Summitron's gear list:Summitron's gear list
Sony a7S II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow