It Deserves It's Name

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
It Deserves It's Name

Bokeh Master! Indeed. I pined over deciding whether to pony up for the outrageous expensive RF85mm f1.2L IS USM. I looked at several other possible choices but after extensive research decided I had to try this Sigma 105mm f1.4 DG HSM. Working with the new R5 I knew I'd need the adapter. But since I'd already gotten one to work with the sublime Sigma 14-24 f2.8 DG HSM for my Real Estate work, it seemed a more natural possibility.

When I took delivery and opened up the box I was bowled over by the shear physical size. Then was really thrown for a loop when I lifted it. Fortunately I'm no small guy and have decent arm muscles but still.......this sucker is something. I more so admired it's construction quality and finish, which is like that of a Leica. The added Arca Swiss mount is a sweet addition. Everything about the lens operates so darn smoothly it's just a pleasure to work with, like driving a top Mercedes. You know you're NOT driving a Chevy (no offense Chevy owners lol).

I slapped the combo onto my R5 and figured a good first test would be a shot of one of our house bunnies. Cute and lot's of fur and facial details. At f1.4 all but the top of her head is blown out in beautiful creamy bokeh. Like I've never quite seen before.

I quickly found that upping the f stop to say f2.8 was to me far more desirable. It at least provided a larger portion of her face in focus than the 1.4 did. But I was rather smitten with the cream if you know what I mean. I'm just not used to seeing it that smooth.

Here's one at f2.8

Moving along I noted when shooting towards my wife that the eye auto focus worked fast and reliably so that was a relief. Also the focus speed was near instant which I must admit I was a bit surprised about considering the size of these lens elements. The colors are sweet and the contrast and micro contrast are surgical with this lens. That lens hood, which is some special carbon fiber composite with a rubber portion at it's front is a very high end quality touch as well. In reality I don't seem to have much of an issue walking around with that weight as I simply hang it all with several of my finger tips of my right hand and it's not even an issue. If I'm doing a paid gig however I'll bring my tripod and set it up with the Godox V1 on top and set up the shot with the person/group that way just so I'm not standing there holding it. All in all the $1000 savings isn't bothering me one bit. Sure the Canon is superb in all ways. But this is more than enough to keep me happy and satisfy my clients. Highly recommended.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
Prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony FE • 259
Announced: Feb 27, 2018
ProDude's score
Average community score
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow