Put to sleep or shut down?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP 4x5joe Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Put to sleep or shut down?

JPAlbert wrote:

Shut it down at night.

Boot up in the morning. Let it sleep during the day when you're not using it.

That's a good compromise...

Thank you JP. Your suggestion is a good compromise.

I worked in a place from 2000 to 2010 with around 50 Macs and servers running around the clock. I.T. always said to "just put them to sleep". lol. I suppose old habits die hard.

It's what I do. I've experienced problems if I don't turn-off or restart Macs at least every 2-3 days. I've never understood people who feel it's necessary to leave a computer running 24/7. But I like to conserve electricity when I'm not actually using a powered device.

When I was a working photographer I would schedule my Macs to wake up shortly before I arrived for work. Everything would be ready by the time I sat down at my desk: my calendar front-and-center, email downloaded, the websites I visit first-thing waiting in tabs, CRT display warmed-up (in the early days LOL), RSS feeds updated, etc. I'd be up and running just as quickly as leaving the Macs running all the time.

Thank you LAAP. Like you, my 2019 iMac experiences problems every few days or so if I don't restart. Much more often if I am on editing portraits for 6-7 hours a day. Sometimes I have to shut down all software and restart the computer three times a day if I have long Lightroom to Photoshop and back sessions. :-(. The spinning beach ball I hate when they show their ugly face.

I appreciate your input.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow