Thinking of getting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,424
Re: Thinking of getting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR

J_o_e_l wrote:

I always appreciated this lens... it focuses SO FAST! And with the addition of VR it became even more fantastic than the G version.

But, it's crazy heavy, doesn't focus very close to objects, and 70mm isn't really very long at all. I actually enjoy using the 24-120 f/4 a lot more. The range is far more useful for my photography than having 2.8 is, it's about a lb lighter, and if it ever breaks they're on eBay for like $500 all day long!

But if you want the 2.8 VR, then my friend you absolutely deserve it and will surely enjoy it. Go for it.

Joel

Or a sharp copy of the 24-85 VR.  Feather weight compared to the the 24-70 and 24-120...if you don't need a constant f/2.8.

I have a Sigma 24-70 OS which is very sharp edge to edge.  It isn't feather weight but it's lighter than the Nikon 24-70 VR.  Haven't needed to fine tune it at all but it does have issues with the OS (need to press the shutter well before you want to take the shot to let the OS settle in) so I mostly shoot it with the OS off.

Seems like all lenses are a compromise of some sort.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow