17 1.8 vs 12-40 2.8

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Doom Scythe Regular Member • Posts: 286
Re: 17 1.8 vs 12-40 2.8

Lightp8nter II wrote:

I have read several times that the 17 is an ok lens with its strength being size and weight. I finally got around to comparing on my 5.2 and try as I might I saw very little difference from 2.8 to 8.0.

Do I just have great copy of a 17? Regardless there appears no reason to avoid the 17.

No idea on sample variation, but I had this lens for quite some time since. The image was OK for most part, but when compared to 12-40mm, it was less sharp, slightly. I seems to remember that when going for f1.8, it was even less sharp when compared to f2.8.

Nevertheless, I actually liked everything else about the lens. Small, fast focusing, manual focus with hard stop are all great stuff.

For your part, it could either be as you suspected, where you got a great copy of the 17mm. Or you could have gotten a lousy copy of the 12-40mm.

Doom Scythe's gear list:Doom Scythe's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow