Customising the E-M1X and Tips & Tricks

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,714
Customising the E-M1X and Tips & Tricks

Further to a recent thread I thought I would start a thread about customising the E-M1X for birding.

These days I am principally a bird shooter and like to have my cameras customised as much as possible for fast action with the ability to quickly change settings by touch while looking through the EVF.

I can bring up the SCP or Menu while looking through the EVF but I like Custom Modes and Function Buttons to help me minimise using the SCP or Menu diving. One of the disappointments I had with the E-M1.2 was that you couldn’t assign CMs to Function Buttons.

Since recently acquiring the E-M1X I have been fine tuning customising the camera to the way I prefer.

I have my 3 bird Custom Modes assigned to the EC, ISO, REC buttons immediately behind the shutter button so I only have to move my index finger from the shutter button to these buttons to change between each CM without reaching for/turning the Mode Dial.

• C1 is for my perched birds settings. I use Aperture Priority with my CM assigned to EC button as I don't need EC button in that mode and have the Fn Lever button assigned to ISO

This how the Button Functions Menu looks like when I am using C1

• C2 is for my BIFs settings. I use Manual Mode with my CM assigned to ISO button and have the Fn Lever button assigned to ISO (even though I mainly use Auto ISO). I have EC assigned to Direct Function Arrow pad and use the front dial to change setting.

This is how the Function Buttons Menu look s like when using C2

• C3 is for my Pro Capture Mode. I use Manual Mode with CM assigned to REC button and have the Fn Lever button assigned to ISO (even though I mainly use Auto ISO). I have EC assigned to Direct Function Arrow pad and use the front dial to change setting.

This is how the Function Buttons Menu looks like in C3

I then leave the camera in M Mode on the Mode Dial and can switch between the above 3 Custom Modes by just pressing the desired button.

Within each of the above CMs I have the Fn Lever set to switch Target and AF modes just by moving my thumb.

I know there are plenty of ways to set up the camera to suit each users preferences so please share your customisation or any tips & tricks you may have discovered which may not be evident in the manual.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow