Customising the E-M1X and Tips & Tricks

Started Dec 15, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,836
Customising the E-M1X and Tips & Tricks

Further to a recent thread I thought I would start a thread about customising the E-M1X for birding.

These days I am principally a bird shooter and like to have my cameras customised as much as possible for fast action with the ability to quickly change settings by touch while looking through the EVF.

I can bring up the SCP or Menu while looking through the EVF but I like Custom Modes and Function Buttons to help me minimise using the SCP or Menu diving. One of the disappointments I had with the E-M1.2 was that you couldn’t assign CMs to Function Buttons.

Since recently acquiring the E-M1X I have been fine tuning customising the camera to the way I prefer.

I have my 3 bird Custom Modes assigned to the EC, ISO, REC buttons immediately behind the shutter button so I only have to move my index finger from the shutter button to these buttons to change between each CM without reaching for/turning the Mode Dial.

• C1 is for my perched birds settings. I use Aperture Priority with my CM assigned to EC button as I don't need EC button in that mode and have the Fn Lever button assigned to ISO

This how the Button Functions Menu looks like when I am using C1

• C2 is for my BIFs settings. I use Manual Mode with my CM assigned to ISO button and have the Fn Lever button assigned to ISO (even though I mainly use Auto ISO). I have EC assigned to Direct Function Arrow pad and use the front dial to change setting.

This is how the Function Buttons Menu look s like when using C2

• C3 is for my Pro Capture Mode. I use Manual Mode with CM assigned to REC button and have the Fn Lever button assigned to ISO (even though I mainly use Auto ISO). I have EC assigned to Direct Function Arrow pad and use the front dial to change setting.

This is how the Function Buttons Menu looks like in C3

I then leave the camera in M Mode on the Mode Dial and can switch between the above 3 Custom Modes by just pressing the desired button.

Within each of the above CMs I have the Fn Lever set to switch Target and AF modes just by moving my thumb.

I know there are plenty of ways to set up the camera to suit each users preferences so please share your customisation or any tips & tricks you may have discovered which may not be evident in the manual.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow