Bokeh battle: 50/1 vs 56/1.2 vs 110/2 vs. . . a Christmas Tree

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Blue Swan Media
OP Blue Swan Media Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: Bokeh battle: 50/1 vs 56/1.2 vs 110/2 vs. . . a Christmas Tree

SpeedyNeo wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison. Some quick thoughts:

1. You said you prefer SOOC of X over GFX, nonetheless you shot this comparison in RAW. Any reason for that?

My preference primarily pertains to skin tones, and even with RAW files I feel X-trans is superior in that regard. However, processing in RAW seemed like the easiest way to correct for differences.

2. The 50 is showing some green edges to the bag (chromatic aberration). Neither of the other 2 lenses has this problem it seems.

Good catch! To me the 50 is clearly designed to produce a 'look' rather than optical fidelity (like the 90 f/2), and as such has a number of compromises.

3. The 110 is the nicest overall to my eyes. It just 'pops.' Nicest bokeh and colors IMO. MF 'look' perhaps? Bayer vs X-Trans maybe? πŸ€”

Well as I said, I think it's tough to overcome the physical advantages of the larger sensor, MF is just going to have higher IQ, period, and that ultimately might be what you're seeing when your brain says it just pops. I doubt it's Bayer vs. XTrans but maybe.

4. Yes, indeed the 56 has nervous bokeh.

-- hide signature --

www.blueswanmedia.com

Blue Swan Media's gear list:Blue Swan Media's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-H1 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow