Please Help! Dental Photography with Fuji X-Pro2 & 80mm macro lens

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Orbit220 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Please Help! Dental Photography with Fuji X-Pro2 & 80mm macro lens

YJNYC wrote:

Hello,

I am a dentist and have been trying to use this gorgeous camera for the dental photography. Yet, I can't seem to figure out how to use it. Please note I am a novice in photography and tried to watch several youtube videos, but still in vain.

Can anyone help me to set it up right?

Again I am using Fuji xPro2 with Fuji XF 80mm F2.8 macro lens and bolt ring flash.

It's either too dark, or too fuzzy/blurry that it's never a quality that I would like to see.

My setting was

F stop: 22mm

ISO: 100

Shutter Speed: 250

I am willing to purchase anything that would give me a good result.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Hey YJNYC,

I am a fellow dentist and have been doing my clinical photography with the 80mm f2.8 for around three years. I started out with the X-T20 and then moved to the X-H1, both of which share the same sensor as your camera.

For every single intra-oral photograph I maintain the same exposure settings: Aperture: f/22, Iso: base (200 in either camera's case), SS: highest flash sync speed (1/180 for the X-T20, 1/250 for the X-H1). The only thing that I change between patients or shots is the flash power. Always shoot your flash in manual and adjust for your desired brightness. Generally it will stay the same value, but sometimes it may change. For focus, use manual focus and turn on focus peaking. I generally use Red-High, but mess around with the colors and see what works best for you. When taking a picture, I like to back button focus by using the AF-L button programed to engage autofocus, put me in the ballpark, and then fine-tune with manual focus. The only other fixed setting I use for dental photography is setting a custom white balance of 5600K. You can certainly use a grey card in office, but I find this kelvin works great with my flashes.

With regards to flashes, I have found that ring flashes work great for full mouth/posterior photographs and dual flashes work best for anterior/esthetic shots. I have the Yongnuo YN-24EX dual flash and the Nissin MF-18 ring flash. You can throw some cheap "glove" diffusers on the Yongnuo for some great soft light, makes for great esthetics.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have, I hope this helps

Orbit220's gear list:Orbit220's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow