How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,252
Re: Great info so far

Austinian wrote:

That does increase the backup time substantially, but I think it's worth it in case something did go wrong, though I personally have never seen that.

In my long experience working on systems with backup drives, I've seen backups fail with catastrophic consequences.   This happened the first time on a system that held CNC drilling information for hundreds of aviation printed wiring board designs.  Backups were done faithfully every day, but nobody ever did a test restore to see if they were working.

One day I had to reformat the hard drive on the system, and the engineer of the system assured me to do it, backups had just been done.   And the backups failed, meaning all that data was gone

Something similar happened at a Motorola division where a new engineer had inherited a system 3 weeks earlier.  Reformatted the drive, and restored all the data in a suspiciously-quick 15 minutes.  Yep, all those backups were sequential, and only covered about 5% of the data.

TEST a backup!!

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow