How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 16,076
Re: Great info so far

21tones wrote:

Skyglider - I don't know what the difference is between cloning a drive and doing a full image backup but I'll read up on it. From what you say it sounds like the full image backup doesn't take as much space. I guess I need to be doing this once a month or after significant use of the ON1 software so the backup is reasonably up to date vis a vis the catalogue.

A full backup and subsequent restore might have the same effect as disk cloning, although after disk cloning the final layout is the same, including fragmentation, whereas after full restore the disk layout is likely to be more efficient.

As far as ON1 using GUIDs instead of names to identify photo objects, I'm really not sure if full backup and restore will preserve GUIDs as needed, so disk cloning seems advisable. Furthermore full backup and restore would require in-between media, so is slower and more error prone for what you're trying to do.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow