How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP 21tones Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: Great info so far

Skyglider

I don't know what the difference is between cloning a drive and doing a full image backup but I'll read up on it. From what you say it sounds like the full image backup doesn't take as much space.  I guess I need to be doing this once a month or after significant use of the ON1 software so the backup is reasonably up to date vis a vis the catalogue.

Sean Nelson - I agree with you if I were not starting from where I am now! I have invested money and time in learning this software and don't want subscription software, which is why I moved away from Lightroom. (Combined with the fact that ON1 has many of the features of Photoshop incorporated into it).

WryCuda - you did advise against ON1 but see above.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this before but I have asked the ON1 Community how they have dealt with this. Two have responded saying they have rebuilt the catalog and smart albums when moving to a new computer, and that it doesn't take long.

I can see how to do it. I guess it depends partly on the number of photos one is dealing with.

I won't say anything more about ON1 now, other than the fact that a good friend has it, and advises me on how to use it effectively, is also a factor. As you can see from this thread understanding computer hardware and software is not my strength!

As soon as I get my computer back from the Tech guy I will start putting into place the things you have helpfully suggested.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow