Thinking of getting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,397
Re: Thinking of getting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR

I've been shooting the VR version since 2016 when my G version developed a case of 'zoom grind'.  Initially on a D810, but on a D850 for the last few years.

I can't compare it to a Tamron, but I can compare it to the G version.

First thing I thought I noticed was a decrease in sharpness in the center.   This is just pixel peeping the first images as I was taking them while walking around Hong Kong.   I've thought about that a lot since then, and I think it was more that the G version dropped off in sharpness more to the edges, and that made the center seem sharper.

Overall, I think the VR version is better (sharpness, optical characteristics), but other than it really being more consistent from center to edge, there isn't that much difference.   As one who used both lenses I find non-optical characteristics make more differences that you notice in the field.

First, there is VR.   For my type of shooting, which is often travel, I find this makes the most difference in the evenings.   Probably because I'm never up in the early mornings, but there are times when I really need to shoot with a 1/30th shutter speed.

Second, there is an 82mm filter thread.   Why is this the second-most important difference for me to list here?   Because it destroys the compatibility I had with the other two lenses in my travel kit (80-400g and 16-35vr).  With the 24-70g, all three lenses shared a single CP filter AND you could interchange the lens caps on each.   It was much more convenient to change lenses and be able to simply pull the lens cap from the new lens and put it on the one coming off camera.   Now I have to track two lens caps and carry a second CP filter.

Third, the VR version is fatter where you place your left hand to zoom.    Doesn't make much practical difference, but i remember that difference every time I lift the lens.  Practically though, it makes almost no difference other than the feel and a bit more tightness when packing.

Overall, it's a fine zoom lens in a somewhat boring (but documentary) focal range that has minor flaws and just gets out of your way.   It's fine wide open or stopped down.   VR works, and seems most useful to me for video, except I just don't do video.   It has good sharpness, good flare control, good focus accuracy (more the camera there), an effective lens hood, correctable vignetting, etc.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow