Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mr Owl
Mr Owl Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings (P700 too)

Jamil Abbasy wrote:

Mr Owl wrote:

Mine got picked up today. As it's a faulty printer I just left them all in as they were & popped the printer in its original box. And Epson didn't give me any special instructions or cautions. Once you put these inks into your printer they are registered to your printer alone. You can't even use them in another printer. You use 'em all up or you lose 'em. Another helpful serve from big brother. I get my new one tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed for this one.

Thanks...I did the same thing for my return on your advice. I'm waiting to hear back about a replacement, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere again. I'm debating if I want to return m 2nd P900 ink set and just go back to my 3880. I received a message from someone else about the P900 who said, "The feed mechanism is a train wreck." I'm hoping that even if you get a good one that they don't fail over a short time with regular use.

I bought my Epson 3880 in 2011 and it still works fine. The current ink in it is at about 50% and has an expiration date on the cartridges of early-2019 (I took a break from printing for a while), but comparison prints yesterday are almost identical to the P900. My wife thinks I'm insane for pixel peeping to find any differences. Stock Epson ICC profiles are definitely better for the 3880. ColorMunki color profiles I made are nearly identical with a slight edge to the P900 for better shadow detail and vibrance...with my nose to the paper though.

Reasons to upgrade include the wireless printing from Mac and iPhone, size, black switching, carbon black / enhance coat thing, viewing light, roll paper ability, and the fact that new ink for the 3880 costs about $700.

How did your replacement go?

Thanks that's interesting. Luckily Epson here mentioned that they have a stash of extra P900's just for people in our situation that have a DOA or other major fault. So perhaps they can help you directly. I'm almost certain they would do that in every country. I did have to hound the reseller & Epson a bit just because things can get banked up prior to Xmas & didn't want to be left stranded as this is my only printer. But it all worked out. Just don't wait for people to act on your behalf, you have to be pro-active!

Re paper feed, everything is OK now. I must have a good one! Just make sure you have horizontal centering set to on in the screen options & check paper meandering option is on as well. They are both on as default, or should be. I took out my mm ruler & measured all 4 margins & they are straight & even on all sides.

Best of all, no extended loud cracking noises. I do get a couple of loud clicks but that's it. I take it they are normal ones though. Some other strange paper feeding sounds have gone too.

It sounds like you don't have the roll paper unit. But for anyone reading this who uses one, have you noticed that as you feed the paper through, that the printer beeps audibly to alert you to stop feeding it in? I get a musical note on the printer's screen but hear no beep. Is that normal? Neither my first printer nor this second one beeps. Maybe I've misinterpreted but I thought it should be an audible one.

Also noticed that if I stop manually feeding the roll paper after I see the musical note on screen that the printer has difficulty grabbing the paper. But if instead I keep feeding it through until I feel resistance then pull back a tiny bit it's OK.

I printed a reference image file & it came out great through Photoshop with both Printer Manages Color with no colour management & Photoshop Manages Color + Epson profile for Epson's Photo Paper Glossy. Both were identical in brightness, colour & detail. I'll be making some ColorMunki profiles soon for other papers as well. I did not use any enhancements like black overcoating etc of course & they look fine. Just using photo 1440 dpi & no scaling of the image. I think the enhancements should be used judiciously for the right kind of images.

All going well so far. Printer alerted me to install an update KI09KC. This one is newer than the one listed on Epson's AU website. And I find the wireless very fast & responsive on 5 GHz. I actually really like the LED light too, it's more useful than I thought it would be.

I can afford the ink for this machine, the 3880 would be too costly for me. And the P906 is economical with ink, unlike my previous Canon Pro-1000, nice output when it worked but an ink guzzler.

Hope you get a good replacement soon. IMHO I think you will be well served by going with the P900 just for the ink saving alone. And as a heads up, I would take out the 5yr warranty if offered - not much outlay for peace of mind against any longer term hassle. Mine has onsite inspection & repair. I think it's well worth it.

All best!

-- hide signature --

Mr Owl

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow