Nikon 300mm F4/D owners or ex owners - comments on sharpness please - pondering TC

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Sagnik7 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Nikon 300mm F4/D owners or ex owners - comments on sharpness please - pondering TC

The Nikon 300mm f4 is an excellent lens provided you have a good copy. Few years back I purchased a lightly used one as I developed an interest in birding. It was a decent lens but was not very sharp unless stopped down to 5.6-6.3. I added a Kenko 1.4Tc but was not happy with the result. Following the general consensus that it needs a better collar I added one made by Kirk. Tripod or no tripod the change in collar made little difference.

I sold the lens and purchased a Nikon 200-500VR. And I must say, it is excellent for birding on a limited budget. Then last year my regular photo dealer was clearing out stocks and had a good offer going on the 300mm f/4 afs. So, I purchased a new one this time and it has been excellent.

300mm with Kenko 1.4 Tc

Sagnik7's gear list:Sagnik7's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Pentax K-1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow