New to MFT: Olympus om-d e-m1 mark ii vs mark iii

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jazzgear New Member • Posts: 18
New to MFT: Olympus om-d e-m1 mark ii vs mark iii

I am looking to add a MFT small kit to my bag for personal (non-paid) macro and some landscape work during travel / vacation.  Another area I am interested with this Kit is some birding and wildlife photography - given the cost and weight advantages of MFT.   I shoot Weddings and Portraits professionally with Sony and Canon full frame cameras....but was looking for a lighter kit for the aforementioned purposes.  I am particularly interested in the Subject cameras for the focus bracketing & stacking, and the full res modes.

‘I know the Mark III offers improved IBIS, hand-held hi res mode, and night sky shooting options.  However not sure if these features are worth the price difference....currently the Mark II is $849 vs $1399 for the Mark III.  However, since I don’t own any MFT glass, I would need to add that into the cost.  I’m thinking the 12-45 F4 for landscape work and the 60mm macro lens would be a perfect travel kit...or is the 12-40 a superior lens optically?  It would be nice to leave the tripod behind, where possible (nod to the Mark iii for the better IBIS).

what’s the general opinion on the Mark II vs III for a 1st time buyer (not upgrading or switching systems)?  Also would welcome your opinions and recommendations on a sharp all purpose zoom (12-40 F2.8 vs 12-45 F4.0 vs 12-100 F4).

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow