Is there a point in getting the ZEISS Touit 50mm f/2.8?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
BJ60EH Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Is there a point in getting the ZEISS Touit 50mm f/2.8?

jjz2 wrote:

HamSupLo wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

I mean the zeiss is a 1:1 macro so I don’t see it as comparable to any that you listed. Two diff purposes.

If you need a cheaper 1:1 macro that performs well, you could mount several versions of the nikon 60 2.8.

BJ60EH wrote:

Do you need a macro lens? If you aren't going to use it for macro and want 50mm, you can get the Fuji 50mm f2 a lot cheaper and it's whole stop faster. Or if you want some macro ability but don't mind a bit slower focus there's the 60mm 2.4 (one of my favourite lenses). It only goes to 0.5x magnification but I really enjoy the colours and image quality.

Basically the Zeiss offers macro capability over the other lenses you mentioned.

Thanks for reminding me about the 1:1 macro! I completely forgot about it. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Appreciate the suggestion on the 60mm as well. Heard about the slow focus and that the colors and IQ really make up for it!

The 60 FUJI has a really nice rendering, I've been thinking of picking one up again. Because at that length, I'm usually indoors with lighting set up. Could use it as an extra lens for nature hikes as well.

For outdoor portraits, I actually prefer my Viltrox 85mm 1.8 (I'm sure I'd like the fuji 90 also).

In the past for portraits, I would find it missing shots, even if I nailed focus in camera. Sometimes it hunted. That was back on the X E2 though, it's supposed to perform better on the newer cameras, but still doubt it's a speed demon.

I use it on my X-T2 and you're right. It's no speed demon, but I find it sufficiently fast, especially in decent lighting. It nails focus for portraits and it even keeps up with kids, you juts have to anticipate a little bit what's going to happen but I have no problem with it. It's a fun walk around lens too, and when I want 1:1 macro I have some cheap meike extension tubes that work surprisingly well.

BJ60EH's gear list:BJ60EH's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow