If You Get A Good Copy It's AMAZING Locked

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,212
If You Get A Good Copy It's AMAZING

I never thought I'd be saying this about a "superzoom" lens having had my share of them over these last 20+ years. I ordered one for walk around purposes and was rather quickly disappointed. It was pretty sharp in the middle but had odd bokeh and was a tad soft on one side. I sent it back and thought rather then give up on first try check out a 2nd copy. Man oh man this 2nd copy blew me away. I instinctively assumed this would not be much better than the 1st, but it was like an entirely different model. Not only was this copy sharp as a tack across at least 2/3rd of the image side to side at 240mm (quite unusual actually when you are zoomed out all the way on any zoom) but the bokeh isn't shabby in the least. Not the busy rough stuff I saw before.

The CA with in camera processing is quite GONE and it was also the same result processing a RAW file through the new DXO Ver. 4 that just came out. That program has the profiles for the Canon lenses down pat. The color rendition is Canon all the way NO compromises as I'd expected. Contrast is way higher then it has a right to be at this price point Focus is instant and ironically EVEN inside the house with less then decent light, which once again this lens was NOT intended for.

The largest single surprise was at wide 24mm right through at least 100mm when stopped down, this lens can literally pass the grade for landscape. The micro contrast is simply stunning and I'm still shaking my head how the heck they could do this for the price. But once again I can't help but wonder if all copies are or should be this great or if I just was blessed with a perfectly centered copy. Who knows. In the end there is quite frankly NOTHING to criticize on this lens, other than my having to shell out $38 for a freaking lens hood. I find the build quality extremely good with NO play whatsoever and no movement in the extending part of the lens shafts. What else can I say, it's amazing. Here's an landscape shot taken with it that I think speaks for itself.

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
Canon RF
Announced: Feb 14, 2019
ProDude's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow