IBIS for old age?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mtnroads Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: IBIS for old age?

Great input on monopods, guys, I may try one.

Got my X-H1 last night (super thrilled - it is an awesome camera) and today I mounted the 55-200 to it with some trepidation.. This did not work well foe me on the X-T2.

I had the IBIS set to continuous, zoomed it all the way in to 200, and swung the heavy beast up toward the nearby Catalina Mountains,  visible from my patio..

There was still a little bit of jittery-ness, but very minor. Hmmm.. 4 cups of coffee.. I can probably live with this.  Then I looked at the lens and saw that the OIS switch was off, haha.  Last used on my tripod. I turned it on, looked again.. and wow - very steady. Yay!  Like a miracle. Clearly  the IBIS works in conjunction with the Len OIS.

I took a few shots of the mountains and local terrain views, and they all looked pretty good.  Sharp, and consistently so, not the shot to shot variation I was getting before. The IBIS definitely improved things significantly. I simply can't hand hold at 200mm on my X-T2,

Also tonight I upgraded the lens firmware from 1.11 to 1.21 which is supposed to make an even further slight improvement.

More testing to come, and some field work, but already glad I didn't sell that lens.

mtnroads's gear list:mtnroads's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow