fluid video head for 500-600mm

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
aayjay
aayjay Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Re: fluid video head for 500-600mm

Since I have been going down a similar path here, I'll tell you that I'm now leaning towards a beefier 100mm bowl mount with a larger fluid head that's got greater drag.

I've been videoing bald eagles and tundra swans over the past number of days using the A7SIII, Sony 200-600 with the 1.4x TC using the SCG T8 with a 75mm bowl. It's nice and smooth but the drag isn't enough for some bird-in-flight movements. It actually works quite well with faster birds like bald eagles but slower moving birds such as swans-in-flight kinda just glide along and that's when I wish I had a bit more drag.
Like everything else with photographing and filming, birds-in-flight are the hardest things to track. Especially bald eagles that are chasing each other. You never know where they are going!

I've been using the Manfrotto 504HD for years including with my Canon 600 f/4 and it has done a great job but now I'm looking for perfection. Maybe I'm asking for too much?
What is probably the most frustrating aspect of this is that there's no place around to try out fluid heads. You really don't know what you are getting until you have it and can try it out for your specific needs.

One final note, filming with the smaller Sony 200-600 lens really has its advantages over the larger lenses such as the Canon 600mm which I still own. Because it is smaller size  there is less vibration due to it's size and weight. Much less vibration caused by wind too.

aayjay's gear list:aayjay's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7S III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow