Sittatunga wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Ferazzzz_2011 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

It's compact and as far as I can see from this review it will be usable for most pictures at f/4.0, and all pictures at f/5.6. I can imagine it does a better job than the RF 24-105mm stm at 50mm. It also gathers lots of light for your AF-system.

I've got me a used ef-m 32mm f/1.4 for my M50, as I think the price of the M6mkII will drop the coming years. I'm not exited with the idea of a compact too cheap lens on a chunky R or R5 body.

If you have the EF-M 32 there is no need for this lens. The 32 is in a different class man. More like the quality of the 35 L II on APS-C...

Love my 32.

I really don't see why Canon has chosen for a compact design over great IQ for this RF 50mm. We already have M for compactness..... For the non f/1.2 we should have gotten something on par with the RF 85mm IS f/2.0.

It's so Canon has something for everybody. The RF 85mm f/2 is likely to be better, but it is more than three times the price of this lens and ⅓ of a stop slower. The EF-M 32mm lens is more than twice the price and effectively ⅔ of a stop slower. Again, it's likely to be better in a lot of situations, but, if me, it's too expensive for a crop format lens.

I can see that RF 50mm f/1.8 selling to those who want something compact without buying an M outfit as well, or to those who want more quality stopped down or more low-light capacity than the 24-105mm STM without spending a fortune. I would consider it, when it's time to replace my EF 50mm f/1.8. It won't stop Canon making an f/1.4 lens later on that's more to your taste. You don't have to like everything in Canon's catalogue, but choice is good.

I think the disappointment is still warranted. Canon didn't even take advantage of the added space from the deleted mirror box or the big wide mount. It's basically the old EF STM lens with a new element and control ring for 2x the money. I get the point of the lens but Canon seemed to put zero effort into it.

It looks like a complete redesign to me

All that is different here is the flange depth and the new aspherical element. Same # and combination of elements, same design, basically the same performance. Look at the space between the rear element and the mount. There's even more space to the sensor. This design doesn't take advantage of the new mount at all and it shows in photos.

Roughly scaling off the photos, the RF rear element is about ½" closer to the sensor. Don't forget that the RF bayonet is 24mm close to the sensor than the EF bayonet. The doublet is the other side of the diaphragm. The only thing that's the same is the total number of elements. It's meant to be a cheap lens, but that aspherical element must have some effect on its performance because a spherical one would have been cheaper. Every single element is different, even the iris is different. That's too be expected, you can't change just one element in a compound lens without changing every other element to suit.

I'm admittedly not an optical expert, but my point is the changes between this and the EF lenses are far less substantial than other focal lengths. The RF 35/85s for example have different #s of elements and gained capabilities ("macro" and/or IS). Their designs are completely different (for example the 35 basically flipped 180 degrees from a retrofocal design to a normal one). This 50 by comparison is a very minimal update over the EF version.

They flipped the design 180° here too, and going from a spherical element to an aspherical one is actually a pretty major change.  There's only so much you can do at less than half the price of the RF 35mm.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Jx9
(unknown member)
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow