Started Dec 7, 2020 | Discussions thread
RDM5546
OP RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,862
Re: Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Does anyone know if there's noise when recording video like there is on the EF version? He usually does that test but didn't here.

He did and it's much worse.

He did not. That is not a video recording. The 35mm and 85mm are nearly silent in video mode (and slow) but noisy while focusing for photo mode. So no one knows if this lens is noisy during video?

Do you have any examples of lenses that are noisy in manual focus by wire but silent in video AF? It's the same mechanism.

He said it's a problem for video at around 4:00:

The topic of video in his prensentation is very brief and it not clear what testing he did but in still mode it is like pretty noise. This is no surprise because Canon wants the focus to be fast and this STM is noisy when fast. However, Canon slows down the focus STM motor in some other the RF lenses to reduce the noise.

I had not tested mine but now I am curious what my RF 50 does in video mode in terms of noise. I have not been that concerned since I three other lenses that I think are better for video. However, I just tried my R50 on R5 and it is very quiet to my ears but I have no played back audio track. I doubt that wisper it makes in 4K30-D video mode I used will be heard. I just tried still mode too and it seem quick but makes a noticeable sound. I can not just it is loud or not in other people view but it is a very quick click that is not real loud. It would not be heard by people in the room. The mechanical shutter makes more noise to my 74 year old ears.

I do not know how made the noise in the video. It seem to move the lens rom mfd to infinitity and took a long time to complete. That is not normal use the way I will use the lens. It seem surprising fast and quiet in still and very quiet in video. That may be just me not hearing the RF50 noise Frost is referring to. It does not seem to be noisy in my real world trial use.

I wait with interest his side by comparison with the EF which is a lot cheaper build lens. It sharp enough for me though in my use and the RF tomy eys is sharper in the center and significantly sharper in the corners wide open.   Howver usuall the center is most important to me to the EF 50 was plenty sharp enough where my stories are told and surprising fast focus for a cheap lens.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Jx9
(unknown member)
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow