Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

Started Dec 7, 2020 | Discussions thread
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,646
Re: Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Noogy wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0AmJCrMLU He says it may be a little sharper and a little more constrast than older EF 50mmf1.8 "Nifty Fifty". He also says he will be finishing a side the side comparison with the older 50MM lens soon.

1.8 vs 1.8 won't show day and night difference. I was hoping Canon will come up with a 1.4 on RF mount because the 1.2 is pricier than my pre-owned kidneys. And the EF mount 1.4 is older than old. Maybe price the RF mount 1.4 between this 1.8 and the 1.2, and I think there'll be a lot of takers.

Meanwhile I'm keeping the old EF50mm 1.4 because it still gets the job done.

Another EF 50mm Canon lens that gets the job done is the f/2.5 macro version. I bought it to use for macro shooting but found the IQ and sharpness of it to be wonderful otherwise. I use it more than the f/1.8 or f/1.4 I own. I have the convertor for it and with it I can shoot 1:1 macro shots or remove it and shoot normal ones. Its focus is not the fastest but is accurate. IMO, it is one of those older hidden gems that doesn't get the praise it deserves.

I agree. I had the f/2.5 since I got it new in the early 90's, and, stopped down one or two stops, this lens is as sharp as anything else you can use in the EOS universe. Yes, the focus is slow and the manual focus ring is tiny, but it is an amazing and seriously under-appreciated lens. All that said, I traded it in this year - with some other stuff - when I bought my R5 and the RF analog of that EF lens, the RF 85mm f/2.0. I still miss that tiny 50mm, but I'm very happy with my new setup.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Jx9
(unknown member)
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow