Best NR software for High ISO on R5

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
poppyjk
poppyjk Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: Hummingbird PL4 DeepPrime + DeNoise AI AI Clear

Hoka Hey wrote:

poppyjk wrote:

Hummingbird PL4 DeepPrime + DeNoise AI AI Clear at auto default. I like this edit better than my first two, and it requires a lot less time than masking.

I have frequently used DeNoise AI to 'polish' a DxO Prime or DeepPrime image. Works well on this one.

PL4 DeepPrime + DeNoise AI AI Clear

This is very impressive! Thank you.

Glad that this is helpful to you.

I've been playing with both apps and am able to get pretty close to this. As far as noise reduction with sharpening, at least at this point, this is what I'm going to be doing on images like this.

I have found that DxO tends to over sharpen primarily by using too much micro contrast. In your photo I reduced micro contrast to -25 and midtone contrast by -20.  This helps significantly with the background grain.

Topaz DeNoise AI is a great tool but when used too heavily creates terrible artifacts.  In my experience the AI Clear option leaves fewer artifacts or background grain than the DeNoise option.  It is far preferable to do the heavy lift of noise reduction in your primary program and use Topaz for a last step 'polish' at modest settings.

Your desaturation of the reds, magenta, purple and oranges is masterful. The thing that keeps eluding me is the desaturation of the red and oranges particularly under the chin and tail without leaving artifacts and without desaturating the oranges under the wing. Would you share your process on that?

Just experimented and ended up in HSL reducing red saturation -65 and increasing red luminance +65; also reduced purple saturation and luminance both -65.

This is the best I have been able to do.

You do really good work on the colors and detail.  As mentioned, you might experiment with reducing micro contrast and midtone contrast then use AI Clear to minimize the background grain.  The Topaz DeNoise AI masking options might be helpful on this and they are so quick to use.

-- hide signature --

"Well done is better than well said" - Benjamin Franklin
You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR.

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow