Macbook Air M1 with 16GB Ram suitable for most photo editing software?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: Macbook Air M1 with 16GB Ram suitable for most photo editing software?

Saint 112 wrote:

Paul wrote:

to be honest, i am working on a M1 air right now, connected via one cable to LG ultrafine which charges and provides a hub, the whole set up is crazy fast, I work with Hasselblad files and 4k video and this thing is not even breaking a sweat and none of th software is even optimized....

I guess apple is working on 32 core versions for Mac pros, I am not sure how much faster then real time and instant things can get but I guess AI and machine learning is getting more and more mainstream and the requirements change...

this M1 is insanely fast and an absolutely insane value for the money....

I am torn between two options:

• Buy one now because I suspect Apple will make the next generation more expensive. I can't believe computers that powerful can remain that cheap.
  • Wait for the second generation and hope there will be more models. Since I do mainly photography, the current silicon CPU and GPU seem to be powerful enough for me. It's the RAM that has always been in short supply. Yet maybe this technology makes the issue less critical. And since the new chip is so small maybe Apple will add a slot for a second drive. An M.2 SSD would be great.

Nick

I wish they would offer an option with second drive but I seriously doubt that will happen...

RAM is not an issue at all, I got the 16gb version, so far not even that has been tested in any way....there are lots of test on YouTube with crazy 4k videos playing, 30 tabs open, all apps open and ram still isn't taxed.....

I am sure apple will keep even the MacBook Pro M as small as possible, and it will be a beast, by then ssd price will have come down again a bit, the maxed out M1mbp is 2300$ now, which is not bad at all, the next gen and real first entirely new gen M chip mbp won't be as cheap as the air but I doubt it will be as expensive as the i9 mbps are now...

the fastest apple I have ever worked on up to now was the latest iPad Pro and LR CC, it beats every mbp, iMac, Mac Pro working with LR, C1,....and that iPad has 4(?)gb ram...

-- hide signature --

schefz.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow