How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,258
Re: How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

21tones wrote:

Phoenix Arizona Craig - do you use particular software for your disaster recovery?

Yes, and no.   I run a business system at home as well as my personal stuff, and it all sort of merges together.  I have a QNAP NAS for backup (and another to back that one up), and it comes with some software packages to use for this kind of backup.   I find it somewhat intrusive, so I did a full backup some time ago and then uninstalled the product on my PC's.   I don't really need disaster recovery all that much - I've been through so many that my whole system is sort of designed around not being too dependent on one PC.

I'm running 3 laptops and 3 desktops, plus a business laptop my fiance uses for work (at home).  I have a special folder that has held my main business files since the 1990's and ichanges are synchronized to a server and then sync'd back down to other PC's.  My photos and videos are saved to certain drives that are backed up with copy commands in a batch file.   And I have set things up such that it's easier to replace a PC with a new one as I have the data mostly separate from the OS drive.   It's a pain to recover from a disaster, but mainly because I have to reinstall all the software, not from losing any data.   At least with new PC's and SSD's it is much quicker to reinstall things now.

I also have virtual servers that I back up with other disaster-recovery-capable systems.   I run 15 servers under VMWare, and I have backed those up with a program called Nakivo.  But I also use a (free) program called Veeam that makes a completely-usable working backup copy of each of my servers such that if the source goes down, I can simply fire up a replica in its place, and the replica is updated with changes each night via Veeam.

Because I've been building PC's, servers and networks since ... 1994, I'm aware what it takes to recover from a disaster, with or without backups.   So far, the worst loss I've had was 2 months of primary files from early 2015 when I had missed updating a backup program for the new year.  (Missed a folder for 2015.  I lost all my NEF files from a trip to Tahiti.)

Anyway, the thing about disaster recovery is that it is designed to replace the OS as well as the data, so that a restore immediately gives you a working system, without needing that system to run the restore.  The alternative is to have to reinstall the OS in order to do the data restore.  Sometimes reinstalling the OS is an advantage, except in the amount of time needed to recover.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow