Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

Started Dec 7, 2020 | Discussions thread
pdqgp
pdqgp Forum Pro • Posts: 10,741
Agree, perhaps not worth the difference

MikeJ9116 wrote:

I am not that picky over an inch extra length and four ounces added to a lens that is already very small and lightweight. Especially on a body the size/weight of the R/R5/R6. I can see where RF lens might be worth the added cost of replacing the EF lens on a camera like the RP.

I mean we can have this same argument for just about every RF vs EF lens in the lineup, I guess. Most EF lenses are pretty good and adapt just fine. Many will not see the need to switch to RF native mount.

If I didn't have three other EF 50mm lenses I would buy the RF versions.

Agree.   The extra bit of heft and size on EF Lenses doesn't bother me.   Optically speaking the newer lenses are indeed better but even still, are they worth buying them all over again for slight bumps?    I still run MK1 versions of several L lenses even and they perform great still.    In the case of the 50mm it's a small amount of money and I barely could justify it let alone on some of my larger ones that are thousands of dollars.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 1300 Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Kodak DC240 Konica KD-400 Zoom Nikon Coolpix 995 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Jx9
(unknown member)
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow