How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 4,404
Re: How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

21tones wrote:

Thanks for your further responses.

I am still awaiting a response from ON1 as well waiting to get my computer back from the tech.

Before I start installing and configuring everything I may run past you what I propose to do given the advice in this thread.

Phoenix Arizona Craig - do you use particular software for your disaster recovery?

You don't have to wait for On1, they publish this info:

Q. Where does the data that backs up a cataloged folder live?

A. The data is stored in two locations. First, every photo you catalog or edit has an .on1 sidecar file created next to it. This small text file contains the photo's metadata and editing settings. These make it easy to move and share photos across multiple computers. They also provide a back-up for your settings. Second, there are caches of preview images and database files for metadata and settings. These live inside your application support (app data) folders.

Q. How much space does the cataloged folder cache and databases take up, and can I move them?

A. The preview cache can grow to be pretty significant. Its size depends on the number of photos cataloged, the size of the primary display, and the preview size option you select when creating a cataloged folder.

You can set the location of the image caches in the Preferences dialog. Moving the cache to a fast external drive can free up space on your boot volume. The cache folders cannot be moved to another computer at this time.

The databases live in the same application support folders. They use a relatively small amount of storage and cannot be moved at this time.

Here

https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035750991-Catalogs-and-Caches-ON1-Photo-RAW-2020

This means you don't have to worry about the stuff that is in AppData and can't be moved. The space hog is the preview cache which can be located wherever you want through Preferences setting.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon D70 +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow