Wanting a more portable/adventure-ready camera...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kaitlyn Contributing Member • Posts: 526
Wanting a more portable/adventure-ready camera...

I have a 5D Mark IV, primarily using 16-35 F4L IS, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F4L IS. Recently, depending on the adventure, I tend to go out with JUST the 24-70.

For long (8+hr) hikes, multi-day backpacking trips, and more recently ski touring, I'm finding the 5D unwieldy. I am totally used to dealing with weight, but I'm having a decent amount of trouble with the SIZE/VOLUME of the setup - whether inside or outside my bag.

I was thinking of upgrading to the eos r5, but I did some quick comparisons and it seems like I'm not really going to be saving all that much weight or space (although it seems some of the more-similar RF lenses may be coming out within next ~6 months)

I was also considering things like the Sony RX100, but I can't help but think I'd just be disappointed with the shots? I generally don't feel so open to just going to an APS-C type of system because I feel like I'd be giving up TOO much just to gain space saving.

I'm open to both supplementing with a 2nd camera or upgrading to a new system. Some further context on the types of situations/environments I'd like to be able to handle:

- Multi-day backpacking trips

- LONG hikes

- Ski touring

- Shooting photos in varying conditions - dawn, high noon, sunset, dusk (low light performance AND dynamic range important)

- A little more "run and gun" shooting - I'm still composing, but it's often on the go and more quickly given a current bend in a trail or viewpoint, etc. Currently I mostly have my camera mounted on peak design capture clip so it's always available, though I'm not currently comfortable doing this for ski touring.

- Shooting a bunch in the f2.8-f4 range

- Shooting a bunch of people + animals (hiking dogs!) - I use autofocus and do find it difficult to keep up with people/my perspective constantly moving around in frame

- Weatherproofing important. I recognize the 5D is a tank used it in downpour, freezing temps, dusty environments, I've dropped it... I trust that guy for sure! I've had my gopro, phone, friend's cameras fail on them... my 5D has NEVER failed me/shut down due to temps or otherwise

- Shooting professional quality photos for clients while in the above environments

Canon EOS R5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow