Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

Started Dec 7, 2020 | Discussions thread
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,182
Re: Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

MikeJ9116 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Here a comparison with the EF lens. Seems like it's much better.

https://youtu.be/xIgBpk9cUmw

I would agree the corners are sharper with the RF lens but not "way better" as he claims. Other than this, I don't see much daylight between the two lenses. Specifically, not over $100 worth of daylight. Plus, I would much rather have the AF/MF switch on the EF lens than the AF/Control switch on the RF lens.

Regardless of what I think, Canon will sell this lens like hotcakes at an IHOP.

Agree on the performance.

The size difference (vs adapter) is so worth $100 to me. It turns your camera into a whole different class size. With the Rp it feels like I'm shooting m4/3 with a small prime lens again. It makes the 35mm f1.8 feel huge.

I am not that picky over an inch extra length and four ounces added to a lens that is already very small and lightweight. Especially on a body the size/weight of the R/R5/R6. I can see where RF lens might be worth the added cost of replacing the EF lens on a camera like the RP.

I mean we can have this same argument for just about every RF vs EF lens in the lineup, I guess.   Most EF lenses are pretty good and adapt just fine.  Many will not see the need to switch to RF native mount.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Jx9
(unknown member)
Jx9
Jx9
Jx9
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow