How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
supersargas Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Re: How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

21tones wrote:

Thankyou to everyone for your speedy and helpful responses.

I am in the UK and use Virgin Media's email. I don't know whether it is POP or IMAP.

My email indicates I have used 2.68gb of a 25gb quota. Does this imply it is stored on their server? I also access the email on my phone, so I guess it must be?

In an article on the ON1 website they indicate that 50,000 photos catalogued at what they call standard size would take up 53gb storage space using a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

50,000 photos using a 4k monitor would take 85gb.

I use 2k so I guess it is somewhere between those figures.

Thanks for the reminder about Macrium Free. I have never done a system backup before but know I need to start to do this sort of thing.

When I asked on1 about backing up to an external drive with a full system backup they said

"Currently the only way to back up, catalogs and cache are to use a full system back up.
This only works for the current system, and would not restore files to a new machine.

Any type of backup, currently, would require a full back up on the existing machine, and does not allow for a complete restore to a new computer, due to file differences in the (GUID)"

I didn't ask them about restoring to a new computer, but back to the existing one e.g. if it got a virus and the C drive needed to be wiped.

As I say I just don't understand this.

I won't respond to anything else tonight as my wife wants me to do some jobs now!

But I will tomorrow if anyone makes any further comments

Thank you again

I already considered most programs to be a scam. This is barbaric. It makes no sense. You would be better off making your own archive structure and using the program strictly to process the files and nothing else.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow