Mac Mini upgrade on a budget

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tarzan1234 Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Mac Mini upgrade on a budget

Tom_N wrote:

tarzan1234 wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Same with my PA322 daisy-chained via a Displayport>Displayport Mini cable through a LaCie 5big Thunderbolt and an Apple TB2>TB3 adapter into one of the Mac mini's TB3 ports.

I haven't yet tried connecting it directly to the mini via Displayport>USB-C cable.

I’m using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for a direct connection to the pa272. I also tried HDMI to HDMI connection but for some reason, the resolution was limited to 1920x1080.

The M1 Mini should support "one display with up to 4K resolution at 60 Hz" on its HDMI 2.0 port. Was your HDMI cable a "Standard" HDMI cable or a "High Speed" / "Ultra High Speed" one? The "Standard" ones are meant for 720p and 1080i HDTVs, and might not support more demanding uses (like connecting a 2560x1440 pixel monitor).

https://hdmi.org/resource/cables

It’s a good HMDI cable supporting 4K resolution. I’ve used the same one in my home theater for 4K HDR movies without any problem. In fact the same cable and display have no issue at 2560x1440 with either my work laptop (HP elite book) or my personal 2015 MacBook Pro 15, although the windows machine was limited to 30Hz. Still can’t figure out why it didn’t work probably with my Mac mini. From a practical perspective, It’s kinda moot at this point though, i picked up a USB-c to DisplayPort cable and it works perfectly.

tarzan1234's gear list:tarzan1234's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow