Camera and Lens for Bird Photography?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BirdFan2000 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Camera and Lens for Bird Photography?

Greetings,

I am seeking recommendations on camera body and lens

Some background first. I am an amateur photographer seeking to get back into pursuing my hobby. I currently own a 5D Mark II with 24-105 L, the original 100-400 L, a Rebel XSi and a variety of other lenses and camera bodies. I had purchased the equipment back in 2010 when I was actively pursuing this hobby. Then, life events happened and I couldn’t pursue my hobby for several years. In the last few days, I feel inspired again to be outdoors and get back into bird photography.

The 24-105 L is permanently mounted on my 5D II for landscape and other nature photography.

As I reflect on my bird photography experience from several years ago reflection, I feel I missed opportunities because of limited autofocus capabilities of my Rebel. I mostly shoot smaller birds like finches and sparrows. From memory, I find them in a busy background and foreground with twigs and leaves with very low or no sunlight.

I do not pursue Birds in Flight as much, although I take photos of birds sprinting from tree to tree.

My needs:

- From experience, I have found myself in situations where I wish I had more light or better ISO performance.
- A superior AutoFocus would be ideal for my needs. Where I live currently is cloudy most days in the winter.
- If possible, I’d like to utilize my Canon 100-400 L (original, NOT Mark II).
- The cost should be less than USD 2500.

I have been researching for the last month or so. So far, I have short-listed the following camera bodies to use with my original 100-400 L.

1. Canon 7D Mark II

2. Canon 90D

3. Canon M6 Mark II (with converter)

Alternatively, I’m considering:

4. Sony a6600 with Canon 100-400 L or Sigma 150-600

5. Panasonic G9 with Panasonic 100-400

Considering my specific needs, can you please offer recommendations?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow