First day trying the E-M5.3 for soccer

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rsmithgi Senior Member • Posts: 2,350
First day trying the E-M5.3 for soccer

Overall it went well. Battery life was better than expected. Despite temps in the mid-40s I easily got a half out of the battery. Changed at half time to avoid issues. Not sure how long it would have lasted. Probably most of the game.

I definitely noticed the lower frame rate. If I had never shot with an E-M1, I wouldn't have given a second thought but the drop from 9 fps to 6 fps noticeable.

We were trailing 0-1 late in the game. I said to one of the parents "I'm going to go get a shot of the tying goal". In the final minute of the game, one of our center backs took a shot from about 40 yards away. He scored and the shot below is the photo. It is pretty heavily cropped. The AF stayed on the shooter despite the player beginning to cross in front.

The sequence of shots (three before the shot and three after) highlight the frame rate difference. I probably would have gotten the ball coming off the foot with 9 fps.

All in all, I'm happy with the way it performed on the first try, I think I made the right choice for me (E-M5.3 over the E-M1.2) since my son only has about 5 months of soccer left. My primary use will be travel, events, and family photography after that.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow