Z6 II: EXIF metadata modification + RAW development - results look bad

Started Dec 6, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
z-shooter Junior Member • Posts: 26
Z6 II: EXIF metadata modification + RAW development - results look bad

Until the Z6 II is officially supported by Adobe Camera RAW or Capture One Pro I am using the well-known "hack" to modify the .NEF-files metadata.

In my case, in the NEF-file metadata I am changing the camera model with EXIFTool from "Nikon Z 6_2" to "Nikon Z 6" to trick Capture One into reading the files as if they were from a first-gen Z6.

I first thought the first- and second-gen Z6 models would be so similar (same sensor), that the RAW conversion would work rather well.

But I cannot confirm this assumption anymore. There is really something lacking in the pictures. When I compare the "pretend" Z6 pictures with the 1st-gen Z6 pictures, the first-gen pictures have much more detail, sharpness and crispness to them. Unfortunately, I do not have the first-gen Z6 anymore to do a direct comparison.

The Z6 II-modified-to-Z6 pictures seem softer. Today I also noticed some pattern in Capture One, like in our toddlers shirt right here. I guess this is a moiré?

When viewing this .NEF-file in Nikon ViewNX-i this pattern does not show up.

Anyone else noticed some quality loss of the "fake" Z6 II RAW files in Adobe Lightroom, Capture One or other Non-Nikon RAW converter? I know that the Nikon suite is the only one officially supporting the Z6 II for now, but I do not really like the workflow with Nikons ViewNX-i and NX-D, neither do I want to shoot JPEG.

I am also well aware that the metadata-hack is really a hack and I shouldn't expect perfect results from currently incompatible hardware+software. It's just that with the new toy and holiday season coming up, it'd be great to be able to process the Z6 IIs RAW files.

Just wondering if I went too deep down the pixel-peeping rabbit hole or if anybody also noticed this or from past experience with RAW conversion for unsupported camera models.

z-shooter's gear list:z-shooter's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +2 more
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow