Dynamic range of a camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 1,496
Re: Dynamic range of a camera

bclaff wrote:

mostlyboringphotog wrote:

bclaff wrote:

Krusty79 wrote:

I found an article that lists the cameras with the greatest dynamic range. The Nikon D850 and D810 are at the top at 14.8 stops. The Sony A7R3 and A73 are next at 14.7 (got a message saying the domain in the link is banned).

After that, the Nikon Z7, Panny DC-S1 and Nikon Z6 were all > 14 stops of range.

Sounds like DxOMark-style numbers.

A bit of layman (photographers ?) explanation of EDR and PDR would be helpful, if I may add.

I take it that DxOMark-style is EDR? Engineering Dynamic Range.

This is a quick overview.

Engineering Dynamic Range (EDR) is pixel level dynamic range where the low level is determined by read noise.

DxOMark Landscape Dynamic Range is a normalized (to 8MP) version of EDR that is intended to compensate for different pixel sizes. I consider it a flawed approach and the values are unrealistically high.

Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) is not based solely on read noise but on all noise sources including photon noise and Photo-Response Non-Uniformity (PRNU). The low level is based on a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) which is set based on the Circle Of Confusion (COC) for the sensor size. PDR values tend to run about 3 stops lower than DxOMark for the same cameras.

Thank you!

May I ask what the Low Light ISO and Low Light EV values in the other two columns reflect?

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow