M4/3 reliable sports camera?

Started Dec 31, 2019 | Discussions thread
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,598
Re: M4/3 reliable sports camera? Chain link

Barry Stewart wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Chainlink with slats inserted gets my vote as "favorite" AF distraction. Hate the stuff. Also, cars parked nearby when there's no fencing. "Hey, nice grill." Should I mention the net? AF loves the net.

Some time ago, I wrote a post on how I'd like to be able to tell my camera: "If you EVER see chain link fence, car grilles, or goal netting, DO NOT even THINK of AF-ing on it" or "Only focus on the

The idea didn't get much love, with most responses leaning toward, "Suck it up and don't blame your camera."

My thinking is that camera automation is designed to make our photography better — but when it comes to chain link, grilles and netting: Oly cameras actually make the photography worse. The "intelligent subject detection" that was injected into the E-M1X gave me hope that my dream will one day be fulfilled... though perhaps not by Olympus and its new owner.

Ha ha ha, your post made me smile Barry. Until Covid I used to photograph lots of Roller Derby. The sports halls largely have dim/poor lighting. Often both teams will wear featureless tops - different colours but same tonal value - but the multitude of refs (between 7-9 circulating at same time) all wear black and white striped tops.

It was a nightmare for my Panasonic - which would almost always find the refs, - but the em1-mk2 does a lot better fortunately. At least when there is a huddle it will fairly consistently lock on to nearest player .. If I am using a wider pattern AF. Or stuck well when using a tighter group.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dav
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow