z2122
OP z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,400
Re: Not so bulky FTZ adapter?

michaeladawson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

I still use 2-3 F mount lenses on my Z , and I don't want to change them due to seldom use and good IQ.

What is a little bit annoying, is the bulky FTZ adapter. I understand, that a certain size is needed to compensate the difference between the F mount and Z mount, but I do not need the bulky tripod connection on the FTZ. Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

Throw a base plate onto your camera like the one from smallrig. You'll never think about the FTZ "bulk" again.

Why? Because he's now complaining about the SmallRig bulk? Is your response tongue-in-cheek?

No, I am being serious. In my case, I didn't like the additional asymmetrical bulk specifically from the bottom of the adapter, preventing the camera from sitting flush (and messing with the tripod compatibility in those cases). If the camera was slightly taller, we wouldn't have this issue. So there are several plates that can add a few mm to the camera and sort of blend out the bulkiness of the adapter that I personally only notice due to its asymmetry. It's not going to work for everyone, but it does for many people I've talked to, a few of which are in that link I posted earlier.

More on this topic at this link as well:

The smallrig is one of the larger ones, but there are others and some are much smaller. Examples of more options are the RRS and the Nikon one.

To each their own. I don't like the extra protrusion of the FTZ tripod adapter. And I wouldn't want that SmallRig plate on my camera all the time either. With or without the FTZ.

that's exactly the opinion that is also valid for me . I don't want any extra things b my Z6 to "cover" the bulky FTZ.

A small and light FTZ that can be used for F mount G and E lenses -  that's it

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow