Nikon and their binoculars.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,056
Re: Nikon and their binoculars.

Leica Eye wrote:

C Sean wrote:

This isn't strictly related to photography but it may highlight bigger problems Nikon are facing.

I owned a few pairs of Nikon binoculars. The first pair I really liked but eventually gave them away to a friend who was into birds. It was an ex display model so they weren't expensive but sadly they weren't waterproof or weather resistance either. The problem was I stopped traveling and didn't need them anymore.

When I went traveling again, I got myself another pair but this time Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42. They were weather sealed but I prefer looking through my originals. I also found them not having enough reach for distance viewing on safari.

So I decided to get myself a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and to my surprise most places are sold out of Nikon binoculars. My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me.

We don't know what happened in China when the outbreak of Coronavirus first started but large sections of the country went into lockdown. So production in China had a huge knock on affect. However, recently Nikon stopped producing rifle scopes and I found it odd the availability of Nikon binoculars in the UK is worse than say in the US.

If I had to make a guess, Nikon is scaling back production but it would be nice instead a lot of people in the UK are buying Nikon binoculars.

After many years of jumping between various manufacturers, I went for a set of Leica's.. Night & Day over all the others.. great investment.. Leica can service if required - Mine are now 40years old, still crystal clear..... L

No doubt about Leica bino quality ( I have had three of those and still have one ) but even Leica now has some of their binos made in the same Japanese  factory that makes a LOT of the top brands, including many of the Nikon binoculars.

(a clue for some :JB133)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow