R5 Buffer Clearing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tazz93
OP Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,620
Odd conclusion yields repeatable results

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I finally found something that is repeatable. I've found HOW to delay the clearing of the buffer and HOW to speed up the clearing of the buffer.

Slow Clearing - Seems to be dependent on using the EVF only during the clearing process (I found I had to turn the LCD in so it can't be used at all when using the "AUTO 1" Display mode). This occurs in EVF-only display mode as well. I did test this with my eye to the EVF the whole time and it was indeed slow as well. Oddly, you can see the difference in the buffer counter's speed in the EVF, so its is likely causing a true slow down.

Fast Clearing - Seems to be dependent on having the LCD active during buffer clearing, Live View or just playback.

You can mix and match, and it will "prorate" the remaining time depending on the mode, EVF slows it down, LCD speeds it up.

Please, can some of you try this and tell me if yours is the same.

Basic settings: f/8, 1/2000th, ISO 100, E-Shutter (to mitigate the wear on the shutter for testing).

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow