Z6/Z7 (Gen 1) vs D500 / D7500

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,626
Z6/Z7 (Gen 1) vs D500 / D7500

So I have an opportunity to take a trip in the near future where I'll have a chance to shoot some wildlife. Some of the animals will be birds and monkeys, and then slower moving animals as well (which I'm not as worried about). Now, wildlife isn't something I Normally shoot, but it's something I've kind of gotten interested in more over the past few months of the pandemic (since many of my regular model shoots have been cancelled or postponed).

Since I no longer have a DSLR to compare my Z's to, what are people's thoughts on the Z with the latest firmware update (v3.1x) compared to the mid-range DSLRs people are using for wildlife? I know that in reality it's going to come down to AF Speed, and a bit of burst speed shooting (although I don't know if 2-3 fps is going to be that much of a deal breaker for me).

I have contemplated buying a wildlife kit but want to know if the Z's are capable of doing BIFs and other widlife with reasonably good results or if I shoulid just look for a used mid-range DSLR like a used D500.

(Ideally a D850 would be best but I'm not willing to spend that much, even for a used one as this is something I'll probably do here and there, but not enough to justify a $2000+ camera.  I've considered renting, and that may still be an option, but even if I rent a camera 2x for a whole week each, I'll likely have spent a few hundred dollars right there alone in rentals of just the body, so I'm considering buying a used DSLR for this if the Z's are not up the task.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +13 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow